The New York Times Building

Printing House Square

 

The old New York Times Building (41 Park Row), completed in 1858, was fundamental for the formation of the Printing House Square, although the area was already a publishing center. The site was previously occupied by facilities of the Brick Church, demolished in 1856.

The New York Times was founded on September 18, 1851, as the New-York Daily Times. On September 14, 1857, it became The New York Times. It was first located in 113 Nassau Street, a six-story building between Ann and Beekman Streets, one block south of 41 Park Row. In 1854, the newspaper moved to 138 Nassau Street, site of the current Morse Building.

The construction of the New York Times Building, at 41 Park Row, began in 1857. It occupied part of the site of the Brick Presbyterian Church, a two-story brick house erected in the rear for the Trustees of the Church. In 1846, the publishing house Baker and Scribner leased this facility. The site of the temple itself was occupied by the World Building destroyed by fire in 1882, then the Potter Building was constructed on the site in 1883/1886.

The old five-story New York Times Building was designed by Thomas R. Jackson. The cornerstone was laid in May 1857 and it was completed in 1858. It was then an impressive building in the area. It was damaged by the fire of the old World Building, in 1882.

In 1888, a larger structure began to be constructed in 41 Park Row, around the core of the five-story building, so that the printing presses could be kept operating. The new 13-story building was designed by George B. Post in Romanesque revival style and completed in 1889.

By 1896, The NY Times's finances was tumbling and the company was purchased by Adolph Simon Ochs (1858-1935). In 1904, it took place a four-story expansion of the 41 Park Row building, completed in 1905. In the same year the New York Times moved to its new home at Long Acre Square (today Times Square). In 1951, Pace University purchased the sixteen-story 41 Park Row building.

 

New York Times Building

 

Antique photos of NYC

 

 

 

 

The New York Times Building in a vintage postcard by 1907.

 

 

113 Nassau Street

 

City Hall Park

 

Times Square images

 

NYC Skyscrapers

 

Tribune building

 

Construction of the New York Times Building incorporating portions of the 1857-58 structure (source: Scientific American, August 1888).

 

Right, the second home of the New York Times, from 1854 to 1858, at 138 Nassau Street, corner of Beekman Street (illustration undated from NYPL).

 

Brick Church

 

Building New York Times

 

Daily Times

 

New York City

 

Empire State images

 

New York Times

 

Old NY Times building

 

Construction NY Times building

 

Park Row images

 

 

Times Square

 

The first home of The NY Times, 113 Nassau Street. The NY Times stayed there until 1854. It became a McDonald’s in the 1970s and the property was put up for sale in 2004. The New York Times Company had no interest in buying it and the building was demolished in 2007 (illustration published in 1901 / NYPL).

 

 

 

Copyright © Geographic Guide - Old photos of NYC.

 

 

 

The New York Times Building

 

 

 

 

 

Historic Buildings