Decker Building, Union Square - 1894

 

Decker Building, located at 33 Union Square West in Manhattan, was built between 1892 and 1893 for the Decker Brothers, a piano manufacturer in New York City, founded in 1865 (ceased operations around 1900).

Decker Building was designated a New York City landmark in 1988, an example of the Moorish style. It is only 11 m wide and 42 m high. The architect was John H. Eldelman. It was erected in the same site of an older building of Decker Brothers, also in Moorish style (see a picture).

Sometime in the 20th century, the building lost part of its Moorish tower. It was surmounted by a balustraded parapet that led to a domed minaret. The tower sported balconies, imitating those from which the faithful could be called to prayer.

In 1913, the building was acquired by Lowenfeld & Prager and then it was renamed Union Square Building. Later, the original name was restored.

 

Decker Building

 

Antique photos of NYC

 

Buildings at Union Square, including the Decker Building. Photograph by J.S. Johnston, N.Y. 1894. Source: Library of Congress.

 

 

Union Square

 

Copyright © Geographic Guide - Antique images of NYC.

Photographs (this and the one below it) copyrighted by J.S. Johnston, N.Y. 1894. Source: Library of Congress.

 

Union Square West

 

Decker piano fortes

 

Equitable building old

 

NY Early Skyscrapers

 

Antique photographs

 

Decker Building, Union Square - 1894