Saint John's Chapel - 1913

 

Front view of the St. John's Chapel, Varick St. Built 1802-07, the 3rd oldest church building in Manhattan.

The Chapel was built between 1802 and 1807 for Trinity Church by architect John McComb Jr. In 1867, Trinity Church sold St. John's Park, the land on which the chapel stood, to the Hudson River Railroad Company. The company built a large rail freight terminal on the site, driving away residents and church goers. Despite much public protest, the chapel was demolished in 1918.

Photo taken June 13, 1913. Source: NYC / Frank Cousins Collection.

 

Saint John

 

Antique photos of NYC

 

 

 

 

Saint Paul Chapel

 

 

Architecture

 

 

 

Broadway NY

 

 

 

Churches NY

 

 

Trinity Church

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

A complementary photograph of the Chapel, taken on the same day, as the photo above, and by the same photographer.

 

 

Saint John's Chapel - 1913

 

Copyright © Geographic Guide - Antique photographs of NYC.

 

Antique photographs