Sub-Treasury Building, Nassau & Wall streets - 1915
View of the Sub-Treasury Building (now Federal Hall National Memorial), Nassau Street (on the left) and Wall Street, taken from the New York Stock Exchange Building, in Broad Street. The building opened in 1842 as the Custom House. In 1862, it housed the U.S. Sub-Treasury. The George Washington statue on its steps was unveiled in 1883. Photograph by Underhill, Irving, 1915. Source: Library of Congress.
This classical Greek style building stands on the site of the New York's second City Hall, completed in 1699. This former structure was remodeled in 1788 by Pierre L'Enfant as the nation's capitol. With the removal of the capital to Philadelphia in August 1790, Federal Hall reverted to its former use as the City Hall. When the present City Hall was finished in 1812, old Federal Hall was abandoned and razed.
The building, which now occupies the old Federal Hall site, has its own architectural and historical significance. It is a fine example of the Greek Revival Period in the U.S. architecture. The eight Doric columns at each end of the building, and the low triangular pediment, recall the Parthenon in Athens.
Sub-Treasury Building, Nassau & Wall streets - 1915
Copyright © Geographic Guide - Old photographs of New York City. |