The Allerton, 600 West 113th Street and Broadway
The Allerton apartment house at 600 West 113th Street, on the southwest corner of Broadway (2,889-2899 Broadway), was completed in 1910 with 12 floors above ground. The building still exists. It was not part of the Allerton House chain.
The building occupies a plot 100 by 100 feet. It was designed by the New York architectural firm Neville and Bagge. Thomas P. Neville and George A. Bagge opened offices in the early 1890s. They designed many residential buildings in New York City, including the Cornwall at Broadway and 90th Street, also completed in 1910, and the Roxborough at 251 West 92nd Street and Broadway, both with similar design and 12-story high.
In November, 1911, The Allerton was sold by the Yorkshire Realty and Building Company, headed by Isaac and Henry Meyer, to Augustus Van Horne Stuyvesant.
In February 1922 the building was resold by Ennis Sinnott, Inc., to Charles H.J. Dilg. In September 1937, the Allerton Apartments were sold at auction (Linlaugh, Inc. against Fanden Realty Corp.).
In the 1970s, it was converted to graduate student housing of Columbia University, located close to campus. In 2003 housing shortage caused conversion of half of the building to undergraduate residences.
Copyright © Geographic Guide - Historic Buildings in NYC.