The Holland House was a majestic hotel located at 276 Fifth Avenue, on the southwest corner of 30th Street in Manhattan, adjoining the Marble Collegiate Church. It opened on December 7, 1891 and closed in 1920. It is currently a loft building.
It was owned by Mrs. J. Van Doren, who leased the hotel for 15 years to Herbert M. Kinsley and his son-in-law Gustav Baumann, both Chicago restaurateurs. Kinsley died in 1894 and Baumann continued with the hotel.
Old mansions on the southwest corner of Fifth Avenue and 30th Street were demolished and construction of the Holland House began in 1890. Its doors were opened on December 7, 1891. The Waldorf Hotel was then still under construction a few blocks north.
The building with 11 floors above ground and considered to be fireproof was designed by architects George Edward Harding & Gooch. The façades were built of gray Indiana limestone and the grand portico was decorated with stone carvings. The interior was luxuriously decorated primarily based on the original Holland House Hotel in London. The café had electric lights in crystal globes hang from silver chandeliers above every table.
The hotel closed its doors in 1920. It became an office building in the 1920s. It was stripped down of its richly decorated interior and the portico was demolished.
Copyright © Geographic Guide - Historic Hotels in NYC.