New York Post
The "Post" was founded in 1801 as the New-York Evening Post by Alexander Hamilton (1755/57 - 1804), one of the authors of the Federalist Papers (1787 / 1788) and first secretary of the Treasury of the United States (1789–1795). William Coleman (1766 – 1829) was the first editor, succeeded by William Cullen Bryant (1794-1878), considered the most brilliant editor of the NY Post in the 19th century.
In 1801, the New-York Evening Post was established at 40 Pine Street. It changed to 42 Pine Street, on April 26, 1816. On April 27, 1818, its address changed again to a new building at 49 William Street, between Wall Street and Pine Street, opposite the Bank Coffee-House, celebrated for its dinner parties (located at the rear of the Bank of New York).
In 1832, it changed its name to The Evening Post. On May 2, 1836, its office was removed to 43 Pine Street, a few doors from its former location at 49 William St. In May 1837, its address changed to 27 Pine Street. On May 3, 1842, its address changed to 25 Pine Street. On March 22, 1847, the office The Evening Post was removed to 18 Nassau Street, near Pine St. That was also the address of William C. Bryant & Co., Printers, whose owner was also editor of the Post.
In April 1853, The Evening Post headquarters was removed to 41 Nassau Street, corner of Liberty Street, opposite to the old Post Office. A story was added to the existing building and a well-lighted vault was made under the street, extending along the whole frontage on Liberty and on Nassau streets, to be devoted exclusively to the engines and presses of the Evening Post newspaper, the fourth story being reserved for the book and job printing presses of the establishment. It seems that before 1867, the seven-story Bryant Building, at 55 Liberty Street, named after the Post's editor, was erected on a wider site that also included 41 Nassau Street.
On July 1st 1875, its address changed to the Evening Post Building at 208 Broadway (206-210 Broadway), corner of Fulton Street. On July 1st the number 210 Broadway was printed on the newspaper, then it changed to 208 on July 7.
The site of the Evening Post Building was secured in the spring of 1873. In May, 1874, the demolition of the former buildings on the site was completed and the construction of the new building began in the same year, under the supervision of architect Thomas Stent. On May 1st, 1875, the tenants began to move into their rooms.
The 9-story Evening Post Building was an early skyscraper of New York City, but not the tallest one at the time, as it was recognized by the Post in its July 1st issue: "The new building is in the immediate neighborhood of several of the largest and most pretentious structures in the city, and although not intended to rival them in size or elegance, it is of sufficiently great dimensions to attract the attention of the most indifferent passer-by." Its height above the sidewalk was 125 feet and the octagonal cupola was 15 feet higher. This building was demolished around mid-20th century.
In 1881, Henry Villard acquired the Post and it was edited by Carl Schurz, Horace White and Edwin Lawrence Godkin.
In 1907, a 14-story Evening Post Building was completed at 20 Vesey Street (20, 22, 24) between Church Street and Broadway, also known as Garrison Building, after Oswald Garrison Villard (1872-1949), who owned the Post at the time. It was designed in Art Nouveau style by Robert D. Kohn, now a landmark. The new address was printed on the newspaper for the first time on April 1st.
In 1926, a new headquarters was erected for The Evening Post, located at 75 West Street, in Manhattan. This 17-story, Art Deco landmark designed by Horace Trumbauer. The Evening Post established its headquarters in the new address in August, 1926. The Post occupied the building until the 1970s. It became later a residential building.
In 1934, The Evening Post changed its name to the New York Post, after its acquisition by Julius David Stern.
In the 1970s, New York Post's headquarters moved to 210 South Street. Since 1995, its headquarters are at 1211 Avenue of the Americas (News Corp. Building).
and its headquarters
New York Post
Copyright © Geographic Guide - Early Skyscrapers, City of New York.