Nieuw Amsterdam - 1653

 

Augustin Hermann, inset on the Nicolas Joannis Visscher Map (Novi Belgii Novæque Angliæ nec non partis Virginiæ Tabula multis in locis emendata a Nicolao Joannis Vischero), year depicted between 1651 and 1655 (probably late in 1652 or early in 1653). Original title of the view: Nieuw Amsterdam op t Eylant Manhattans. Publisher: Nicolaes Visscher (1618-1679), engraved on copper. Source: New York Public Library. Continue below...

 

Nieuw Amsterdam, Novi Belgii

 

 

This view was probably drawn from a painting attributed to Augustin Hermann (1621-1686), a cartographer and illustrator of Bohemian descent who settled in New Amsterdam in the 1640s and drew the first accurate map of the Chesapeake Bay. Johannes Blaeu (1596-1673) engraved and published the view independently about 1653. It was later incorporated by Nicholas Visscher in his map of New England in 1655.

In 1664, the English forces took over New Amsterdam renamed it New York, after James, the Duke of York, who had received a charter to the territory from his brother King Charles II.

More: Maps of NYC - 17th Century

 

 

 

Original references (old Dutch / translation):

A. Het Fort / Fort Amsterdam.

B. de Kerck / Church in the Fort.

C. de Wintmolen / Windmill.

D. dese Vlagge wert op gehaelt als daer Schepen in Haven komen / Flags hoisted when ships enter port.

E. t'gevangen huys / prison house.

F. de H. Generaels huys / Governor's House.

G. t'Gerecht / Tribunal, gallows.

H. de Kaeck / Pillory.

I. Compagnies Pachuys / Warehouse of the West India Company.

K. Stadts Herberch / Tavern.

 

Enlargements from a black & white copy of the Library of Congress.

 

Buildings New Amsterdam

 

City New York

 

Houses New Amsterdam

 

Warehouse of the West India Company.

 

New Amsterdam

 

NYC in the 17th Century

 

Old waterfront

 

Copyright © Geographic Guide - 17th Century NYC. Historical Drawings.

 

 

 

 

Nieuw Amsterdam - 1653

 

 

 

 

 

Tavern

 

 

17th Century NYC