The Chemists' Club in New York was formed in December, 1898, with the mission "to promote the interests of chemists and those interested in the science and applications of chemistry".
Its first physical location was at 108 West 55th Street, previously home of the Mendelssohn Glee Club. It included an assembly hall, reading rooms, and a library. The last meeting at 55th Street was held on March 4, 1911.
In 1909, club president Morris Loeb (1863–1912) began a campaign to erect a building to house the society. A 12-story building was constructed at 52 East 41st Street, replacing previous numbers 50-54, between Madison and Park avenues. The Chemists’ Building Company was incorporated to finance the construction. The front elevation of the building, designed by architects York & Sawyer, was presented in November, 1909. There were areas for meetings, dinners, living and laboratories that could be rented by members, and a research library. It was constructed with a white marble façade, in the style of the French Renaissance of the Louis XVI period, finished with Ionic pilasters and balconies at the second story and similar decorative balconies at the top story. It was completed in March, 1911. Members could rent living and working space for days, weeks or months, according to their needs. If they wished, they could live at the club while carrying out their research.
In 1913, the library opened to the general public. It was then considered the largest chemical library in the United States. By 1914, the Club Library, today known as the Chandler Library, had a total of 36,000 volumes.
The Club building, at 52 East 41st Street, was sold in 1987. Then the Chemists' Club held meetings at the Princeton Club. The Club building was left empty for several years and it had several owners, until New York real-estate investor Morris Moinian acquired the building in June 1997 and transformed it into a 108-room boutique hotel. It opened in late 2000 as Dylan Hotel NYC.
Copyright © Geographic Guide - Historic clubs in NYC.