Historic Hotels in New York City
The Sherry-Netherland is a hotel located at 781 Fifth Avenue, on the northeast corner of 59th Street, in the Upper East Side Historic District, Manhattan, facing the Grand Army Plaza at the entrance to Central Park. It was opened on November 1, 1927, as an apartment hotel.
The site was formerly occupied by the old Hotel Netherland, demolished, in 1926, to make way for the Sherry-Netherland. It was built by Louis Sherry and Lucius Boomer. Schultze & Weaver designed the building in a neo-Romanesque and Renaissance style, with a height of 560 feet (170.7 m) and 38-story above ground. It consisted of 126 apartments ranging from one room and bath to six rooms and four baths.
According to the New York Times (November 1, 1927), the owner was the Fifth-ninth Street and Fifth Avenue Corporation. In March, 1927, it turned over the building to the Sherry-Netherland Corporation, of which Lucius M. Boomer was the president. It was under the management of Louis Sherry, Inc., a subsidiary of the Boomer-du-Pont properties Corporation which owned the Waldorf Astoria and other hotels. In 1949, the Sherry-Netherland was sold to Floyd Odlum and Boyd Hatch's Atlas Corporation.
Copyright © Geographic Guide - Historic Hotels in NYC.