Chatham Row and Park Theatre - 1830

 

 

Chatham Row

 

Park Row in 19th Century

 

 

 

Street view in Chatham Row (Park Row). Park Theatre, the steeple of the old Brick Church (on Beekman Street) and other historic buildings are on the right. City Hall Park, on the left. Drawn by C. Burton and engraved by William D. Smith for the New York Mirror 1830. Source:  Smithsonian American Art Museum.

Park Theatre was a playhouse located at 21–25 Park Row. The cornerstone of the original building was laid on May 5, 1795 and it opened in 1798. The theatre was destroyed by fire in 1820 and rebuilt in 1821. This second Park Theatre was burn down in 1848. The Sock & Buskin House (replaced by the Earle's Hotel in the 1840s) is next to the right. Place & Souillard, Apothecartes & Druggists, and M & E. Cronly (at 13 Park Row) is on the right.

This is the old Road to Boston, from present-day intersection with Broadway, at Ann Street. It was officially named Chatham Street in 1774. In the early 19th century it was sometimes called Chatham Row, Park Row and later Newspaper Row. It became officially Park Row in 1886.

 

City Hall Park

 

NY Park Row

 

 

 

Old City Hall Park

 

Park Row NYC

 

Copyright © Geographic Guide - Nineteenth Century NYC. Historic Buildings.

 

 

 

Tammany Hotel NYC