Historic Hotels in New York City
The old Hotel Savoy was located at 767 Fifth Avenue, on the southeast corner of East 59th Street. It opened in June 1892 and closed around 1925. It was replaced by the Savoy-Plaza Hotel.
The old 12-story Hotel Savoy building was designed in the style of the Italian Renaissance by architect Ralph S. Townsend, in 1890, for Philip Henry Dugro (1855-1920). There were 350 rooms and 125 private bath-rooms. It was expanded later and included adjoining buildings. The seven-story Bolkenhayn Apartments building (see photo on the right), built in 1895, on the corner of 58th Street, was also used by Hotel Savoy.
The luxury Hotel Savoy competed with The Plaza, across Fifth Avenue, for guests and residents. In 1922, negotiations to sell the Hotel Savoy, owned by Bretagne Company, were under way. Du Pont family acquired the hotel, in May 1823, and sold it to the Childs Restaurant, in May, 1925. Later, the United States Realty and Improvement Company acquired control of the property from the Childs Company. Demolition of the old hotel was announced in November, the same year, to make way for a new hotel (Savoy-Plaza Hotel) financed by owners of the Plaza and Childs.
Copyright © Geographic Guide - Historic Hotels in NYC.