Historic Hotels in New York City
The old Savoy-Plaza Hotel was located on Fifth Avenue, at the southeast corner of East 59th Street. It opened in 1927 on the site of the old Hotel Savoy and was demolished in 1965.
The new hotel was financed by owners of the Plaza and Childs. Demolition of the old 12-story Hotel Savoy was announced in November, 1925. The Savoy-Plaza Corporation acquired the properties and leasehold on 5th Avenue, extending from 58th to 59th streets, formerly occupied by the Hotel Savoy, completed in 1892, and the Bolkenhayn Apartments, built in 1895.
The 33-story Savoy-Plaza Hotel was 420 feet (130 m) high. It was designed by McKim, Mead & White and opened on October 1, 1927. The Sherry-Netherland, on the northeast corner of 5th Ave. and 59th St. opened the same year.
Hilton Hotels acquired the hotel in 1957 and it was renamed Savoy Hilton in 1958. In 1962, the hotel was sold to Webb & Knapp, Inc. Western International Hotels assumed management on June 2, 1964, renaming the property The Savoy Plaza, without the original hyphen. Demolition of the hotel was announced on August 21, 1964 and it was closed in October 1965. It was demolished from late 1965 to early 1966. It was replaced by the General Motors Building, completed in 1968.
Copyright © Geographic Guide - Historic Hotels in NYC.