Old New York Athletic Club Building

 

The New York Athletic Club was founded in 1868. In 1898, the headquarter moved from the building on the corner of Sixth Avenue and West 55th Street to a new clubhouse on the corner of 59th Street and Sixth Avenue (photo above).

The design of this clubhouse was published in the Harper's Weekly, July 27, 1895. Construction started in 1896. On March 5, 1898, the opening of the new clubhouse was announced to happen on March 26th.

This clubhouse was demolished about 1928 to build the Hotel St. Moritz, completed in 1930. The current City House of the NYAC, on 59th Street, corner of 7th Avenue, was completed in 1930.

 

 

Historic Photos of Manhattan

 

 

Copyright © Geographic Guide - Historic buildings in NYC.

 

 

Athletic Club

 

Central Park images

 

The old New York Athletic Club building on the corner of 59th Street (facing Central Park) and Sixth Avenue, in 1925. The building behind it is the Coronet Apartments, on the corner of 6th Avenue and 58th Street.

 

 

Construction building

 

The new clubhouse under construction as published in the New York Athletic Club Journal, April, 1897. Original title: The way it looks now.

 

Central Park

 

Historic Buildings

 

59th Street NY

 

NYAC design

 

New York Athletic Club

 

Barbizon Plaza

 

Sixth Avenue

 

St. Moritz Hotel

 

Corner of 59th Street  and Sixth Avenue

 

 

Historic Buildings

 

Old New York Athletic Club Building