City Hotel on Broadway - 1831

 

The Tontine Hotel opened in 1794, at 123 Broadway, and soon it became known as the City Hotel, later its official name. It occupied the whole block bounded by Cedar, Temple, and Thames streets. It was the first functioning hotel in New York.

It was built on the former site of the house of Stephen De Lancey (1663-1741), that later became an inn. The five-story building, designed by John McComb Jr. (1763-1853), was also a place for concerts, balls and other social functions. The City Hotel was owned by Ezra Weeks. In 1828, John Jacob Astor bought it and the hotel was operated by Chester Jennings. On April 25, 1833, City Hotel took fire, destroying the upper and attic stories.

City Hotel was the most famous in New York until the opening of the Astor House, in 1836, built by John Jacob Astor. The hotel was closed on April 30, 1849. It was replaced with stores (see the "Old City Hotel" in an illustration about 1850s). By 1878, the structure of the old building was deteriorated and it was torn down to make way for the eight-story above ground Boreel Building, completed in May 1879.

 

City Hotel

 

Historic Hotels in NYC

 

 

 

 

Fifth Avenue Hotel

 

NY Hotels

 

Trinity Building

 

Trinity Church

 

New England Hotel

Building that previously occupied the site of the Old Trinity Building.

 

Copyright © Geographic Guide - Old NYC, 19th century.

 

Broadway NY 19th Century

 

West 31st Street

Façades on Broadway and West 31st Street.

 

The City Hotel, the second temple of Trinity Church and the old temple of Grace Church (in the distance) on Broadway, looking south. Illustration published by Peabody & Co., 1831. Engraved by Archibald L. Dick (ca. 1805 - ca. 1855). Source: New York Public Library.

 

Adelphi Hotel

 

Historic Hotels

 

 

City Hotel on Broadway - 1831