Historic Hotels in New York City
The Old Waldorf-Astoria Hotel consisted of two separate buildings located on Fifth Avenue, from 33rd to 34th streets. It was 314 feet high and contained 1,400 rooms. It soon became one of the most famous hotels in the United States. It was the the predecessor of the current Waldorf Astoria New York, on Park Avenue.
The original 13-story Waldorf Hotel opened its doors on March 14, 1893. It occupied the site of John Jacob Astor's mansion on the northwest corner of Fifth Avenue and 33rd Street. His son William Waldorf Astor put George Boldt in charge of the hotel.
The 16-story Astoria Hotel opened in November 1, 1897, on the southeast corner of Fifth Avenue and 34th Street. It was designed by the same architect of the Waldorf Hotel, with stone and brick cladding, steel frame and mansard roof. It was constructed by John Jacob Astor IV, William’s cousin. They finally agreed to connected the two buildings through a 300 foot marble corridor known as Peacock Alley. Then the two buildings became the Waldorf-Astoria Hotel.
On May 3, 1929, the Waldorf-Astoria closed its doors and it was razed in the same year to make way for construction of the Empire State Building. In 1931, a new and much bigger Waldorf-Astoria Hotel opened its doors on Park Avenue.
Copyright © Geographic Guide - Historic Hotels in NYC.