Antique Photographs of the Herald Square

 

In the early 1890, The New York Herald operated in a building on Broadway, near Park Row. In 1895, the newspaper moved to a new building in an area that became known as Herald Square, at the junction of Broadway and 6th Ave. (Avenue of the Americas), in Manhattan.

Part of the building was demolished in 1921 and the bronze sculptures (top of the building) were incorporated into the Bennett memorial on Herald Square. The southern half of the building was leased by the Rogers Peet Company, in 1921, and it still existed in 1936. The other part was occupied by the Herald Square Building, completed in 1930.

The New York Herald newspaper was published between 1835 and 1924, when the company merged with the New-York Tribune to form the New York Herald Tribune.

 

Herald Square

 

Antique photos of NYC

 

 

 

 

Herald press room

 

Map New York City

 

Herald building

 

Photograph of the Herald Building (right) and street scene on Broadway. Title: The New Herald Printing Building, New York. Photographed and Published by Benjamin West Kilburn, 1895. Source: Library of Congress.

 

Herald Building in 1895.

 

Antique photographs

 

Herald 19th century

 

Herald Building NYC

 

Herald Square

 

Elevated railway

 

Herald Square 1901

 

Copyright © Geographic Guide - Antique photographs of NYC.

 

Street scene NY

 

 

20th century

 

Streetcars NY

 

Herald Square 1898

 

Broadway NY

 

NY Herald Building

 

New York NY

 

Times Square images

 

NYC

 

Vintage images

 

Post Office

 

Herald building architecture

 

Antique photographs

 

 

Sixth Avenue

 

Antique Photographs of the Herald Square