Park Avenue - Antique Images
In the mid-19th century it was part of Fourth Avenue. The New York and Harlem Railroad was opened in stages between 1832 and 1852. It was one of the first railroads in the United States. In 1834, the Avenue gained a horsecar line, between Prince and 86th Streets. In the second half of 19th century Park Avenue received its name.
The Grand Central Depot, a terminal for the New York Central at 42nd Street, was opened in 1871. On the same site, the Grand Central Station was opened in 1913.
Copyright © Geographic Guide - Old images of NYC.