Columbus Circle rotary is an intersection of Eighth Avenue, Broadway, Central Park South (West 59th Street), and Central Park West, at the southwest corner of Central Park.
In 1869, it was referred as an open circular place, a turnabout for horse-drawn vehicles, by the Commissioners of the Board of Central Park. In the 1870s, it was known as The Circle.
The Columbus Monument was dedicated on October 12, 1892, the 400th anniversary of the arrival of Christopher Columbus, in the Antilles. The Monument was design by Sicilian sculptor Gaetano Russo and donated to the City of New York by the Italian-American community. The surrounding fountains were dedicated on Columbus Day, October 12, 1965.
In 1943, the immigration services moved from Ellis Island to Columbus Circle.
Copyright © Geographic Guide - Old photographs of NYC.